Wednesday, August 30, 2006

So the rain followed me - but not before I was able to get in 4 out of 5 pursuit efforts last night. I trained the first couple with Kele and then suddenly she lost all power, cracked and next thing I know I'm circling as hard as I can go and she's leaving with all of her stuff. You know it's funny - with pursuit work more than anything you have to be 100% because if you're not there mentally and putting in a solid effort then BAM! You crack and you crack hard. You're physically testing your body for 4 minutes straight - to see if you can sustain a super hard long endurance effort. It's only 4 minutes you say, but often the hardest 4 minutes of your life. I'm sure it doesn't equate to labor or getting a route canal without any drugs, but it sure tortures you while you do it. It makes me wonder what the amazing pursuitists - such as Hammer or Annette, think about to block out the pain when they do them. The moment you focus on the hurt, you start slowing down. You have to let your determination carry you through the entire 4 minutes - let the discipline it takes to be a good pursuitist shine through and prove you can ride your bike hard and fast all by your lonesome. Hmmm... something to think about. Sounds like I need to open up my sports physcology book again and do some mental training....

No comments: