Thursday, March 30, 2006

time to get serious

So I've been doing some thinking lately - especially in regard to my recent demeanor at last weekends race - and think it's time I truly committed to what I want to do. Suddenly it's becoming clear that if I really want to go for the gusto in women's elite cycling, then I need to start approaching it with a serious attitude and treat it like a full time job. Up until this point, I've often had conversations with fellow female riders that say they decided they don't want to pursue the next level in cycling because they enjoy it as it is. Am I insane for wanting to take it to the next level? I do enjoy cycling - but I enjoy winning more. And if I want to make it to the next stage then it's time I stop messing around and get serious about it.

This morning I thought to myself how disappointed I was for doing all of the ground work this winter - battling the rain/snow/ice/sleet mix and to only act like a giddy school girl when the nicer weather hits. Where's the intensity? Where's the roaring monster that kept me in the saddle during the dark months? The passion is still there - but I guess I'm just learning how to effectively tap into it and harness it into winning races.

I was surfing the net for some info on Functional Threshold Power for women and came across this blog by a woman who is seriously training for an Ironman. She included her training for the past three weeks - and one thing crossed my mind. Sure she's done far less actual training hours then I have, but her intensity is there. She makes it count each time she swims, bikes, runs.... she treats it like work. Luckily she's able to comingle her passion with work - and no doubt will she be successful at it. She inspired me to change my mental approach toward competitive cyling - because it's just that competitive. Save the shit eating grin for afterward - when you're on the podium. :)

No comments: