Friday, March 31, 2006

lately

I've had a hard time waking up in the mornings. I've been putting in some extra long miles/hours on the bike this past week - and getting more than 8 hours a night of sleep - but I'm still feeling fatigued. Also it's early spring - which means the trees omit a pollen that make my asthma go crazy. At night I hack away at the gurggle in the back of my throat to try and clear it - I just hope I don't have another attack in the middle of a race like I did last year at Boat street.

Despite the increased miles (I'll have almost 300 for the week) - my body feels good. I've been making an effort to increase fluids and eating during the rides - which has helped my recovery time. I wake up feeling good in the morning - not stiff or sore - but fatigued all over. I think I have a rest week coming up soon - I've been building for about 3 weeks now. I'm getting sleepy just thinking about my bed right now.... maybe I'll take a nap later?

2 comments:

majikmojo said...

You are training too hard. Reread your own words. You cannot be both tired and feeling good. And, eight hours of sleep is quite likely not enough for all the mileage you have been putting in. Three hundred miles a week is a lot. People who do nothing need eight hours of rest. Why do you think you need only as much rest as coach potatoes?

A well-known professional racer once told me, "The secret to going fast is going slow." With all due respect, you seem not to train with a daily schedule of riding, but a weekly schedule. That is, it seems you go for three weeks training very hard, then a week of easy, but wonder why you cannot go any faster. Answer: You are not getting enough rest and recovery. Alternate days, not weeks.

There should be training days when you do indeed puke your guts outs, but they should be followed with days that you ride only to see the flowers. That's why I hate riding with newly-minted racers on training rides. They always ride at the same speed -- too fast *every* day. They never go out for those 15 mph rides for recovery. And then they wonder why their top speed of 29 mph gets them dropped when the well-rested riders are powering at 32 mph.

When I was training with some friends many years ago (and still today), we would hit someone with a Silca frame pump if they exceeded 18 mph on the *recovery* rides, and even if exceeding only 15 mph on others.

So again, maybe the secret to your going faster is going slower. BTW, the racer who taught me that lesson won the Tour de France a few times. ;^) (And yes, no one kept up with him on his hard days. Conversely, even my grandmother could have held his wheel on his recovery days.)

majikmojo said...

Just wondering...what do you ride? Frame? Grouppo? Tubulars/clinchers? Etc.?

Moi? A Litespeed Vortex I had custom-build a few years ago. And being an old gray-haired racer, tubulars and Campy Record--still. :^)