Monday, June 26, 2006

101 mile final stage ...

They started the women early on Sunday morning at 8am, mainly to beat the heat. Temps were supposed to hit the upper 90's - a zapping heat that destroys what ever you may possibly have left in your legs. No warm up is necessary because the first incline starts at about mile 27. Up we went - and I hung for about 1.5 miles until getting shot out the back. I was joined by two other cat 3 women and we were able to catch back on... just in time for hill #2. Unfortunately when we rejoined I had adrenaline rush through me and I went up front. Not even two minutes passed and we hit hill #2. Out the back I went - not to see them again until the finish line. Fortunately I met this guy Scott from Lake Tahoe area and he said he would much rather ride with someone else in because the next stretch up to the base of the final climb was just brutal. Boy was he right. Luckily the Master's men caught us and I was able to draft in their field - until the official told me I had to hang back because we were approaching the women's field. I never saw them though! Darn. Scott continued on in their group - and I just kept pedaling away - breezing through the feed zone and catching on to another master's chase group of 3. They pulled me for about 15 miles. And then there was a slight incline and I had nothing left - bonking. Did I mention it was hot out? Eventually I hit the hill and slowly made my way up the 8 miles to the finish line. At one point there wasn't any wind whatsoever and I pulled over to the side of the road and cried. Then I picked myself up, dusted myself off and continued climbing. I have never been so happy to see a finish line in all my life! And my time bumped me into 10th in the GC! Nice work.

Tamarack had a great weekend - Jana placed 6th in the final road race, despite her apprehension about doing a long 101 race. We had a lot of fun and brought home some cash!

Next stop - Colorado 7/11 Velodrome....

No comments: