Saturday, July 29, 2006

Qualified!

So after watching track on Wednesday night, I had a really hard time sleeping. I kept thinking about this weekend and the stakes at hand - worried about making the national qualifier because on Thursday we bought our tickets. I visualized the points race- covering the attacks by Murdin and Annette - making sure they didn't get a gap or a lead... building my confidence up in my head and repeating positive thoughts to myself.

The challenge started with the Pursuit on Friday morning - something I have never done nor trained for. My intention was to podium so the pressure would be off for qualifying. Well Jen, expecting to place top 3 just doesn't cut it when you've never done the event, let alone practiced a lot in that position. So I was a little bummed with a time of 4.18 - but hey, you have to start somewhere, right? Then Amara, Kele, Annette and I did the team pursuit - and let me tell you how much FUN that event is. We actually executed it as if we practiced it a lot. We placed 4th out of 5 teams. It was great!

Break for evening session... headed to Miller's parents house where they cooked us some treats and made espresso. Well whatever was in the espresso proved essential in the points race. I opted not to do the Keirin because I wanted to make sure I qualified for nats in the points race. Wise move. I had enough gas in the tank to win 2 sprints and a single point in the race. Unfortunately I missed the first sprint round and PANICED! I knew I had to kick it up a notch and race my race - not let those ladies get away with my points. I ended up winning the next sprint lap, then got one point in the 3rd sprint and took a flier around everyone to clinch a 2nd place to Jennie Reed. YES!!! Podium hair! I can't tell you how excited I am! Ryan got to see it - so did my mom and Marcy. It was incredible! Thank you all!

No comments: