Saturday, March 12, 2005

1st race = Podium

I learned a lot of the race today. What did work was launching some attacks to separate the field and break it up a little. It also helped to be in the first 1/3 to avoid the accordian effect. I brushed tires with one girl due to sudden braking and this girl behind me wigged out. I am not sure if that is what cause the fall or if she was just spooked to drop back in the pack.

The legs felt great - high cadence was key especially on the hills. There weren't many attacks - but those that were launched, we chased down immediately (I like to say that I was a big part of that - anyone trying to gap was caught in less than three strokes). It was funny - if I surged then everyone else did. But in the final sprint, I'm not sure what happened behind me because I dodging people like flies left and right while motoring by. Talk about an adrenaline rush. The woman who placed second won by a mere bike throw - I was maybe six inches from her. I threw too late. I will practice that more. Also, I want to get in a better position for the final sprint. I was maybe 15 women from the front, and passed all but 2.

I'm looking forward to when we have more team strategy going - so we can dominate the field. I'm happy that everyone finished, even if all of them were behind the pace car. It's going to be a fun season.

No comments: