Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Absolute BEST granola, EVER!

I think I have perfected my homemade granola - so I thought I'd share it with you. Since you can spend up to $5.69/lb on tasty handmade granola at the grocery store - I thought it was high time to create my own. And for a few bucks - you can have the best granola in the world and know what you put into it.

So without further delay....

3 c rolled oats
1 c walnuts, chopped coarse
1/2 c unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 c slivered almonds
1/4 c sesame seeds
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/3 c veggie oil
1/4 c maple syrup
1/4 c honey
1 -2 c dried fruit (the best combo in my opinion is TJ's dried white peaches, apricots, and blueberries.)

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 325. Mix oats, walnuts, coconut, almonds, and seeds together. Heat the oil, maple syrup, and honey in a small saucepan until warm, pour over nut mixture and toss to coat. Spread the granola evenly over a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes, until the granola is light golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in the dried fruit. Let the granola cool to room temp. Loosen the dried granola with a spatula and store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.

Yield - 7 cups.

There you have it - my gift to you. Hopefully it will inspire the hippie in you!

No comments: