Tuesday, December 13, 2005

strength endurance

my mom rulz. she let me cut out of work a little early today so I could take advantage of the last couple hours of daylight. I hopped on the bike and headed down to Seward to do some strength endurance riding. Translation - two by 15 minute hard grinding gears (53 x 14) at 65 cadence so you feel the entire pedal stroke and "scrape mud" off the bottom of your shoes. Why do it you might ask? It builds not only incredible strength but also helps to even out the pedal stroke. Often the quad is the most dominant muscle - but with grinding the gears like this you have to have as much pressure on the entire stroke - the upswing included so your concentration centers on every movement. The end result - tired legs and I found it difficult to keep a higher cadence on the way home. You also want to try and keep the upper body as relaxed as possible.

I didn't think I would be this tired tonight -but after twenty minutes off my feat - my legs feel like lead weights. Nice.

No comments: