Monday, April 25, 2011

Smart moves.

I had the best intention to go out on Saturday night but instead pulled "the bike racer/I'm in training mode/can't get off the couch" card. And my body thanked me for it the next day during my 4+ hour ride, in the rain.

As much as keg stands, gorging on bonbons and cake sound appealing, sometimes you have to listen to your body. There is a delicate balance between pushing your body and recovering, especially as we age. The candle that burns on both ends sadly gets shorter and shorter. And although I don't exercise for usually more than 4 hours a day, it takes at least double that amount of time to bounce back.

A week ago I mentioned how I was adapting to 20 hour training weeks AND maintaining a healthy social calendar by going out with friends every night. Funny - I cracked that same day, hard. Rest means rest - and sometimes a date with a good book is more advantageous than running around.

No comments: