Sunday, May 04, 2008

So stinking close!

By all accounts, I should be totally satisfied and happy with my performance today. But I'm not. And I'll tell you why - the last 400 meters, which I have practiced countless times on the track (probably 100 or more times in race scenarios alone, not to mention training), got completely botched. I went early, way too early and screwed it up. Had I waited another 200m - things might have paned out differently. But as it was - I ended up 5th. And didn't even give Liz an appropriate lead out.

After enduring the hills 5 times (5 TIMES!)- all the pain and suffering to stick on with the group through the grinder of a feed zone, roller punishment, etc - I managed to hose the finish. This feeds into the hunger again - big time. I could taste it today - so close yet nipped at the line by not one, not two, not three but FOUR people. With this new found approach toward racing I've also found I've become more competitive with myself. And I'm definitely not satisfied with it. I know better! Dang it!

Time to start working on a long 400m sprint I suppose. And when that form starts coming - watch out! Superwoman!!!! At least I gave it a go I suppose - better to have risked loss than nothing at all...

No comments: