Saturday, May 19, 2012

Superior Morgul Classic

I'm lounging in Denver right now, at my teammate Therese's house listening to the rain showers pass through. The legs are propped up, the butt nearly asleep, the tummy full and a slight smile satisfaction spreading. Last night I slept 10+ hours, sleep that I apparently needed. And it paid off today. Thank goodness because the day before the uphill TT killed me. Well, nearly killed me.

I definitely recommend pre-riding a TT course any time you get a chance. Scratch that. It should be mandatory. Show up to the race as early as you have to - but make it a priority. Profile views of a course are only so helpful. That being said, the course favored those who have suffered up it before. And guess what? The top several podium spots were all Boulder locals. Flora Duffy, a recent Olympic selection athlete, Heather Fischer, a recent Collegiate National Champion, Cari Higgins, a general bad ass professional, etc - sick competition if you ask me. And that's just to name a few.

Today provided a little redemption. Actually, it provided a lot. I even got into a two up breakaway, then soloed off the front for 4 laps, won a QOM point sprint and then recovered back in the pack long enough to recharge for the final sprint, ending up 3rd. Not shabby!

And now I rest up for tomorrows queen stage - a 54 mile road race that travels up the "wall" 5 times. Perfect practice for Philly. And time to see if those hill repeats will pay off.

Nail. Hammer, hammer, hammer.

No comments: