Sunday, November 14, 2010

Update

Well, in case you're wondering, I'm still alive. Just barely. You know as fun and exciting as track camp sounded, the truth of the matter is that these camps leave you pretty exhausted by the end of the day. The end of the day being 3pm. After relaxing for a little while, getting soe dinner into the belly and trying your best to recover, it really doesn't give you much energy to do anything else. Even going to the grocery store can seem like a huge chore and something put off for as long as possible.

It couldn't be that hard, right? Wrong. Every day I fantasize about taking advantage of sunny southern California and every day all I want to do when i get back to my little home away from home at the extended stay is curl up in a ball and pray my legs stop throbbing. Just kidding, it's not that bad - I only sucked my thumb and cried for mommy one night. :)

So, our days, or excuse me, our mornings begin with a 7:30 track side discussion where we cover the video taken the day before and break down our individual strengths and weaknesses. After we watch our exchanges and standing starts, Benjamin then relays our objective of the day and we begin our track time around 9am. It's super important to fuel right so you have enough in the tank to do a full out effort but not too much so it revisits you later. I am made fun of for having a two pound bag of smarties at track side, but you won't catch me unnecessarily bonking. Those little candies have saved me on more than one occasion.

I might have mentioned this before but our group has doubled in size compared to the last camp. We are now thirteen, which often has us split into four groups. Megan and I are often paired together in preparation for our upcoming world cup extravaganza and either kristin macgrath or Hanan rotate into our group. Our goal is to hit a 3:35 schedule and we're training each effort with 100% intensity. It's actually pretty exhausting, both mentally and physically to be on for each and every effort but absolutely necessary if we want to accomplish our lofty goals.

Tomorrow is the last day if the development camp and all of the elite riders fly in to start their camp on Tuesday. Megan and I will get to take tuesday as a rest day and I'm looking forward to a little down time to recharge my batteries and get ready for another big block of training prior to my taper.

One other thing i thought I would mention since I keep updating my Facebook with nice warm, so-cal pictures is that yes, the weather is that nice, but we're also working hard down here and other then the 2.5 hour ride in the mid-afternoon we really don't get out much. Ha! I know, salt in the wound.

I hope to give you more details during my rest day coming up. Till then, stay warm and dry!

No comments: