Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Go Westy

Last Wednesday I mentioned to Jennie my interest in participating in the Cherry Blossom stage race down in the Dalles area as a way to help Wheeler and gain some fitness. She saw it as a great opportunity to work on more road fitness so I registered that night, barely making the registration cut off and committing to 4 stages of pure fun.

My intention was to be there to support Wheels and make some new memories of that race since last year's attempt was marred with a bad crash and personal grief. I remember thinking during the last stage how emotionally and physically drained I was and the thought of climbing up a 13 mile hill twice a little daunting. It had only been seven months since Ryan had passed and I was hurting. Nothing can prepare you for that kind of trauma and thankfully I weathered the storm.

Now here I am - back for more - a year later. I am ready and eager to make new experiences there. I've always wanted to camp while racing and finally after 6 years of hanging out in hotels and biscuit and gravy continental breakfasts - I'm taking the plunge by loading up Maggie (my 1990 VW Westfalia) equipped with propane stove, fridge and beds and found a place down on the river. The campsite has showers - so going to bed with sticky legs shouldn't be a problem. My puffy jacket weighs close to nothing - and I can cook every meal my heart desires.... not to mention s'mores with every meal if I want.



Jealous? You should be. :)

1 comment:

jillita said...

You have a Westie?? So lucky! I've been daydreaming that exact kind of racing/surfing road trip style for a few years (downgraded from an Airstream to a Westie....not much room to park a 19' trailer). If I ever get one we'll camp out and make s'mores for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! :)

Best of luck at Cherry Blossom!