Monday, November 17, 2008

A fog dampens and quiets the city. Yet my restless body woke this morning at 5:30am. Each morning the clock turns back a little more. Why can't I sleep in? What's urging me to get up in the wee hours of the morning? Is there something in my house that seeks my attention - some project that if I complete will let me rest?

It's cold in my house at that time of the morning. Shuffling to the back door, letting Makiah out sent a shiver up my spine. Thoughts of making sure I disconnect the hose before a big freeze comes run through my head. A drink of water, washes down my throat. I let Makiah back in, she glances at me as if to say, "go back to bed." Then she climbs onto her couch - perched like a cat and falls right to sleep.

Funny - when there's a ton of commotion going on I can sleep like a baby. But when it's just me - the sleep evades me.

All those 10+ hours of sleep a night I took for granted. Ryan was always amazed at how much I slept. I was always amazed at how little he would have to sleep.

No comments: