Sunday, November 02, 2008

Daylight savings...

Eager to start my day, I woke up long before my alarm clock was set to go off. I went to the kitchen, turned on the light and then glanced at my phone as I rubbed my eyes awake. And that's when I realized, it's not 6:45 - it's 5:45 am on a Sunday! I crawled back in bed and am listening to the steady fall of rain outside my window and hoping to get a little more shut eye before taking off this morning for Maui.

Had a fantastic ride yesterday with Liz and Cammie. We headed east to May Valley and were treated with the most brilliant fall colors - blanketing the roads and trail. Cammie happened to flat right next to a mini pony farm and I got to befriend some of the cutest mini's ever. I remember wanting one as a little girl to roam around my house - my mom would have NONE of that! She couldn't stand cats - what would she do with all that horse shit?!

Spent the evening hanging with my amazing little sister. She is a month away from graduating from the Art Institute and although stressed, she's super excited. It'll be interesting to see what career path she follows from this point on. I'm so proud of her!

Also started reading some books about being a widow. "Each year more than a million widows will join the 13.8 million widows and widowers in the United States." That's a HUGE number. Yet despite the overwhelming statistics, everyone has their own unique story to share - and are not alone. I found multiple widow websites and forums out on the web - and feel like I've come upon this secret society that bans together and understands what I'm going through. The average age of a widow is 50. Wild to think about.

And yesterday, as I laid on the couch, recovering from our long ride, I dozed off and was dreaming of him. I remembered vividly the last time we climbed together and his amazing smile - the way his hands felt on my skin, his inner peace when we reached the summit. It actually gave me a lot of comfort to think of him in that way.

1 comment:

Buttercupyaya said...

I hope you are finding some solace in the beautiful tropical landscape of Maui. Tip a colorful yummy for me okay?
That number is astounding, but try to think of them as survivors of a harrowing experience, as are you.
xoxo
Dana