Saturday, November 08, 2008

Epic riding around Mauna Kea

My uncle Keoki has been meaning to do the Mauna Road around Mauna Kea for years. After calling around to a couple of his friends, we found a bike I could borrow for the day and 6 of us headed up to the mountain. Mauna Kea is the largest shield volcano on the island and boasts many micro-climates depending on which side you're on. We started at 6,500 feet and pedaled 30 miles down to as far as we could make it before the sun disappeared on us. Carson and I were pretty evenly matched - the last time I saw him and Alex was at our wedding in 2001 when they were 8 and 6. Carson's now 15 and such a nice kid! We had a great time riding together.

When asked how long I'd be staying for - we all said, maybe a year? Jokingly, but not really. Who wants to go home to the rain and cold?

2 months have elapsed - quickly but yet not at all. I still find myself waking up in the wee hours of the morning thinking of him. Today I remembered Ryan on our wedding day - one of the very rare instances of him sporting a suit. He was so handsome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He was SO handsome on your wedding day! Even his unibrow looked dressed up! He was so proud of that puppy!