Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wow, what a month. 18 race days in the past 30. I should be tired, and I am.

I have three days off in a row - no bike, no pedaling. Just vegging out. Playing catch up on chores, mentally recharging, spa time, berry picking, jam making, walking the pooch and watching terrible Jack Black movies. And then I get to take my 29er to the dirt. Yes, please.

I take this time off seriously. I spend more time on my couch, feat up, tele on and enjoy the sheer simplicity of doing nothing. I am plugging in my rechargeable batteries and waiting for the green light to illuminate before I blast off again on another big block of training.

Ballard, Bellingham, Burien.... I'm seeing a trend with "B" city named races. Derby Days was close - but it's great to humbled by a veteran pro who is one of the nicest people on the planet. Funny, Amara's photos from the event show me smiling through the finish line. And looking back it's because my head is in a great space. I love competition and being tested on my ability is certainly a highlight of racing. And sure, who doesn't want to win every race? But realistically - who can win every race? To me, knowing you gave something your full attention and effort is something to be proud of and happy about. And on that day I did just that - along with my teammates. (But you can bet I've replayed that race finish over and over in my head on how to improve it for the win - come on, I am sort of competitive!)

No comments: