Thursday, December 09, 2010

Affirmation

I'm sitting in my hotel room, with ShoBox fighting on the tele, affirming my decision to hold off on pursuing boxing for cycling. It's funny how things work out in life. Six months ago I entertained the idea of picking up the gloves again, getting back into the groove of things as a pugalist. At the time, I didn't know if cycling was going to continue filling that niche I have for sport. Thankfully I stuck things out, as was always the game plan leading up to nationals. But I did for a second consider getting back into the ring to follow my olympic bid by using my fists and avoiding blows to the head.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the better option of the two.

I am blessed with the ability to reach such a high level in both sports. And now that I'm competing at my ultimate dream goal of world cup action - well, I could call it a day. But the competitor in me has issued new goals and I will continue striving toward them until i reach them. Curious what that is? World champion. Yep, you heard it here first.

Today was a solid day at the track. I found my breaking point, again. As hard as it is to fail an attempt, it's also rewarding knowing that i pushed myself as hard as I could and each effort was with 100% intensity.

The day started with a two hour road ride from the hotel down to long beach at 9:30. From there we headed directly at the track and didn't leave until 4:30 that early evening. Phew, it was a doosey.

And now I'm in a sushi coma. My mom called and checked in, reminding me that I haven't been updating her, or my blog for that matter. In all honesty, I have been pretty pooped each night. With each additional brain cell focused on recovering and giving each effort as much energy as possible. Things are looking good for Cali, Columbia. Our team has done some solid efforts together and in exactly a week from today we'll be taking to the boards in south America.

The weather has been ideal - mid sixties during the day and high fifty at night. Hearing weather reports from friends makes me wonder why I want to return home? Yet, i miss it all the same. Spending christmas in a warm climate is way different - no trees strapped to people's suvs, no obnoxious house lights, etc. The tinsel that hangs in the reception office at the hotel is the only reminder around here. Strange, very strange.

A well deserved rest day tomorrow.... Just in time.

No comments: