Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Hickup in my Giddy up

My poor trusty steed.

I've battered her, broken her, beaten her down. Yesterday I decided to try and salvage our ongoing abusive relationship and replace the now retired rear derailer with another used working one. But my wrench informs me that's the last hoorah for that poor Bettie and next time something breaks, it's time. Time to replace the groupo.

I cried myself to sleep last night.

I just couldn't get out of my head how many fabulous miles we've had together. Experiencing some of my first wins, STP's, foreign countries and down right EPIC days on the bike. But I can say I have gotten my monies worth out of the poor group set - about 25,000 miles. Who knows what the previous owner had tallied on it.

I'm a lot more patient now because of her, you know. The hesitations, the random shifts in her mood, her rugged appearance. Despite my constant abuse, she's treated me well and lived a good life.

Thank you steed. May your rear derailer rest in peace and know that the rest of your parts will be reunited soon in some sort of after life.

No comments: