Monday, April 07, 2008

Coming to terms

I have officially come to terms of turning 30 this past Wednesday.



We got to reschedule our skydiving jump for Wednesday, April 2. Molly, Marcy, Ryan and I showed up at Skydive Snohomish around 5 o'clock to be greeted with tons of paperwork - basically signing any right we have to sue - away before leaping out of the plane at 13,000 feet.



Ryan and I were first to jump - wearing sweet jump suites and matching helmets.



We climbed aboard this tiny aircraft - only big enough for 5 of us. We then flew for 20 minutes to get up to 13,000 feet. The view was amazing. Ryan jumped first - strapped to Valdimere (who had over 13,000 jumps under his belt!) and as soon as the door opened, my heart dropped. Suddenly the reality of what we were about to do made my stomach drop. Out the door they rushed - shortly followed by me and my tandem partner Kelly.



Our free fall was about a minute long - the best sensation ever. My ears felt like they were going to explode though - and all I could do was look down to where we were going to land at 120 mph if the parachute didn't deploy. At about 3,000 feet, Kelly pulled the cord and suddenly everything was silent and it was as if we were gently, slowly gliding back down to the Earth. Talk about an unreal experience.



Next up - Marcy and Molly. Both sisters had jumped previously. Marcy in New Zealand, Molly in Canada. They were a little excited to do it.



It's an indescribable feeling being back down on the ground after that. Suddenly nothing seems as scary to try anymore. I highly recommend it.



More to come on the weekend's Willamette SR soon....



No comments: