Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Don't quit your day job.

I think I liked being unemployed better. I mean really, I love being the master of my own schedule and the master of my own body. And right now I'm neither, or at least it feels that way.

On Sunday night I worked at my first catering gig. One hundred and fifty guests attended and only 5 wait staff. We hustled, we bustled, we didn't get to rest the entire shift. You show up and hit the ground running. Someone (me) had the brilliant idea of riding 3 hours hard with the boys beforehand - thinking I could handle it. Sure I pipped them during the sprints and even made it up with the second group on the big ass hill in the academy but that extra little umph had my legs screaming by nights end. I will never take for granted being able to lay down on my couch for hours on end after a three hour ride. Running around like a chicken with its head cut off left me sore, hungover, and feeling like a train hit me, backed up and then then hit me again.  Ouchie!

And there's nothing like getting the promise of that first paycheck, in its clean, white envelope with my name printed on the front confirming employment. They never discussed payment or wages - so your guess was as good as mine what that dollar figure was going to be. Ready for the shocker? $9 an hour. Last time I checked I had a college education and management level experience. But I took this job for its flexibility, to allow me to train and be able to leave town at will. And this is Colorado Springs. So sacrifices must be made. The belt can tighten this time of year anyway. And some income coming in is better than nothing, right?

Time to buy some lotto tickets.

No comments: