Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Calm Before the Storm

This past weekend I was off the bike for two days for the first time in months. It's my last breather before buckling down and dialing in my speed and agility before nationals. Not only did it allow me to rest my body, but it also allowed me to rest my mind and regroup.

Balance is always important - and easy to forget when you strive toward something every day in every way of your life. I think it's essential to take breaks before your body or mind forces you to to stay sharp and focused when it matters.

And like a well timed gift - this morning I read a couple of passages from the "Book of Five Rings" that hit the spot.

"The warrior attitude is very simple. Focus your mind on your goal, constantly strive to attain perfection, and do not allow yourself to be sidetracked. Think only of winning. You must maintain your own ideals and study properly or your will be sure to lose the Way."

No comments: