Thursday, December 29, 2011

The throb routine.

The throb is back. That steady, dull leg ache that remains throughout the day and into the night. Once I lay down to go to bed, they really start barking at me and it puts a smile on my face. Why a smile instead of a grimace? Because I know that the throb means I did my work for the day. I battled the inner demons, put on the spandex and got out for a ride.  Three and a half hours later, lunch and then into the gym for some lifting and dinner - and I was out cold by 8:30. I tried to watch Lost, I really tried. But my eyes were just too heavy and the couch was just too comfy...


Admittedly, it is hard to get back out there. It's hard to get back into the routine of riding when it's cold and windy. It's hard to get back in the swing of things after moving, the holidays, the steady interruptions. And it's hard to get back after such a relaxing Christmas. Benjamin and I headed up to Beaver Creek and although they only have a 18" snow base, we skied as many turns as possible in a short amount of time. We also spent a lot of time on the couch playing Mario Kart Wii. Somebody was a good girl this Christmas and got a video game or two. Yes, we are big kids.

It was almost 60 degrees outside today. Perfect riding weather. Except the mountain bike trails were filled with snow slog slush. The kind that requires big power output, determination, balance and down right grit. Sometimes I'd bog down, make a bbbbbbaaaaaaapppppp, bbbbbaaaaaapppppp, bbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaapppppppp noise and power through. Other times I'd dab the foot down in 8" of snow that left my feet cold and wet by the end of the ride. Was it worth it? Absolutely. For the throb is back, again.

Time to fall asleep to another episode of Lost...

No comments: