Friday, June 18, 2010

Miss and Out & Scratch

The Miss and Out is my favorite race. It requires power, positioning, endurance and agility. We started the race with 24 women, and after two neutral laps, the officials pull the last person across the line every lap until the field narrows down to three. This is a race that can catch you off guard - so it's important to go in confident and ready to throw down. I sat mid-field for the first several laps, and then made a move up and over the top to guarantee a podium spot. I would up the pace after corner two, drill it into four and then repeat, lap after lap, after lap. Even though I was breaking wind in the front, I don't have to worry about playing the devil and taking massive sprint hits out of the legs. My big move to ensure the top three cost me though - as Hannan sat up in corner three and I just kept drilling it through the finish line. When Beth jumped with a lap to go, I watched her and Laura pull away while my screaming legs rolled in across the finish for third. I'll take it.

And last, but certainly not least was the scratch race. I made a pack with several ladies after the points race that we were going to race our bikes this time. There were wine primes every 5 laps, which definitely helped keep the pace high. Instead of averaging 17mph, we probably averaged 28. That helped shell at least half the field. The final sprint came down between Laura, Beth and I again - this time I was bound and determined to not just sit in. With legs and lungs screaming, I was able to follow Laura in for 2nd. Not bad! But dang it - a win is alluding me this year....

Tela had a fantastic race too! She won a prime and placed 5th! Not a bad day for the two Broadmark ladies....

No comments: