Thursday, March 11, 2010

A mini distraction

This morning after fussing for a good part of an hour on my rear cassette, I decided to break out the old USA Boxing bag out of my gear closet and take a look at what's inside. Opening it up revealed a strong musty smell of leather and sweat. In the very bottom I found my old mouth pieces and they amazingly still fit - even after 10 years. I put my old hand wraps in the wash along with my turtle shell sports bra and an old tank top jersey. And there, in the bottom of the bag were some old "Excellence" ribbons and paperwork from the 2001 World Championships.

I got asked today - so do you really have what it takes? Has anyone ever identified that natural born champion in you? And my response - was yes. But it doesn't matter what they think. It's what I put my mind to that matters. You are the master of your own destiny.

That and a champion is made a day at a time.

I still have 6 x 3 min VO2 intervals on the plate today with 3.5 hours on the bike. I'm not losing my focus on my daily training. But it does give me a little more want and desire to make each effort as hard as possible. To push to new levels. To feel my heart rate beating in my chest, legs screaming from lactic acid - ignoring my brain that's telling me to stop, that it hurts. Pushing beyond that pain threshold is the name of the game - and often is where the gains are made.

And who knows - maybe I'll head down to Tacoma today and get punched in the head. Ha!

No comments: