Saturday, January 04, 2014

Resolutions: Love 'em or Leave 'em.

Resolution: 

1. The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination.
2. A resolving to do something.
3. A course of action determined or decided on.


It's my favorite time of year, as far as resolutions go. I've asked everyone I bump into at one point or another, "so, what are YOUR resolutions?"

And I usually get the following response: 

Resolutions are lame. I don't believe in deciding to change something about myself during the first of the year simply because society says I should. If I'm going to do something, I'm just going to do it.
Word.

That is, until I admit what my resolutions are. I'm not afraid to say what I want to improve and grow upon. I want to hike the incline and do yoga weekly, I want to hand write letters to my friends (old school!), I want to detox and eat mindfully. I want to reflect on the previous year and say, hot damn! That was one for the books! 

How can I do it better?

Reflection is a great chance to say YES to growth. How do I want to improve what I'm doing? What do I want to celebrate? What do I want to look back on a year from now and soak in the lessons learned, the laughter shared, the moments of triumph and failure?

We get one chance on this planet and I resolve to make the most of it. You should too. 





No comments: